Adam C F Cox
- MLIS – Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA (2022)
- MS, Geography – Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA (2022)
- BA, Anthropology – Lawrence University, Appleton, WI (2011)
Phi Beta Kappa | Minor: Music
- Legion GIS, LLC, New Orleans, LA – GIS Developer and Owner (2016 - present)
- Started company with partner (see below for consulting project examples).
- Self-employed, Viroqua, WI – Freelance GIS Consultant (2015 - 2016)
- Various cartographic and spatial data work (see below for project examples).
- National Park Service, National Center for Preservation Technology and Training, Natchitoches, LA – GIS Specialist (2012 - 2015)
- Created nation-wide geodatabase of cultural landscapes for NPS Cultural Landscape Inventory program, based on existing non-spatial CLI database.
- Designed, built, and published ArcGIS toolbox with 30+ tools to aid with creation and use of geodatabase.
- Territory Heritage Resource Consulting, Anchorage, AK – GIS and Cartographic Technician (2011 - 2012)
- Managed spatial data from fieldwork, created historic aerial imagery and historic survey plat overlays. Made maps for report deliverables.
- Lawrence University, Appleton, WI – Anthropology Dept. Research Assistant (2011)
- Researched and created spatial database of historic houses on campus.
- Getty Conservation Institute, Los Angeles, California. (2015 - 2019)
- Created and managed technical documentation efforts. arches.readthedocs.io (live)
- Traveled to Asia (Singapore, Hong Kong, Taipei) to present at Arches informational sessions (2015)
- Assisted with materials and presentations for Arches user workshops (see below)
- Endangered Archaeology of the Middle East and North Africa (EAMENA), Oxford, UK (2018 - 2019)
- Various customizations of their installation of Arches, database.eamena.org (live)
- Work on Arches implementation for the Royal Commission for Al Ula, Saudi Arabia. database.alulaheritage.org (live)
- Designed and built Django backend for Heritage Bridge, heritage inventory mapping app herbridge.legiongis.com (demo)
- Hong Kong Stair Archive, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong. (2017)
- Vernon Trails, Viroqua, Wisconsin (2017)
- Designed and created "Vernon County Adventure Map" 19 x 26 inch foldout brochure
- Custom built basemap with 10 road bike routes and elevation profiles for each one
- Theban Mapping Project, American University in Cairo, Cairo, Egypt. (2017)
- Crawford Stewardship Project, Crawford County, Wisconsin (2016 - present)
- Designed and built "Karstography", an interactive mapping platform for geologic sink classification and publication. karstography.legiongis.com (live). Django, Leaflet, Geoserver.
- Designed and led web-based volunteer efforts to analyze historic well drilling reports (WDRs) for evidence of karstic activity.
- Florida Public Archaeology Network (2017 - present)
- Implemented and customized Arches to create the Heritage Monitoring Scouts database. Gives citizen “scouts” limited access to archaeological site data for condition monitoring. Also used by state land employees. hms.fpan.us (live).
- Armed Forces Retirement Home, Washington D.C. (2015)
- Implemented Arches for internal cultural heritage management tracking and public engagement. afrh-iris.com (live)
- Georeferenced and integrated 12 historic maps into the mapping interface.
- Cane River National Heritage Area, Inc., Natchitoches, Louisiana (2014)
- Mosaicked, georeferenced, and integrated dozens of historic Louisiana maps into the mapping interface. crhim.legiongis.com (archived demo)
- Crossroads Resource Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota (2013 - 2015)
- Made maps for reports on regional food distribution
- Assistant Instructor, Technical Support – Arches Developer Training, 4-day workshop, Swindon, UK (November 2018)
- Assistant Instructor, Technical Support – Arches Workshop, 3-day workshop, John Moores University, Liverpool, England (March 2017)
- Instructor – Introduction to QGIS community course. Viroqua, Wisconsin. (Summer 2016)
- Assistant Instructor – Geography/Geology course at Youth Initiative High School (Spring 2012)
- Planned and led geography and geology-related fieldtrips.
- Writing Tutor – Lawrence University, Appleton, Wisconsin. (Fall 2010 – Spring 2011)
- Barton, C., Cox, A., Delgadillo Cruz, S., and Hansen, J. “Cultural-heritage Inventory Implementations: The Versatility of the Arches System.” Association for Preservation Technology International (APTi) Bulletin. 48 (4): 19-27. 2017. Print.
- Cox, A., 2021: Creating a Public Space for Georeferencing Sanborn Maps. Presentation for NACIS 2021, Oklahoma City.
- Cox, A., 2020: Extending GeoNode to Support Historical Map Georeferencing. Presentation for GeoNode Summit 2020, Virtual Conference, Dec 7-9.
- Cox, A., 2020: QGIS and GIMP for Enhancing Historical Maps. Presentation for QGIS North America, Virtual Conference, July 17th, 24th, 31st.
- Ringhoff, M., Ausloos, J., and Cox, A., 2019: Designing an Arches Database. Paper presented at 2019 California Preservation Conference, Palm Springs, California, May 8-11.
- Cox, A., 2017: Two Arches Implementation Case Studies. Paper presented at 2017 CIPA Symposium: Digital Workflows for Heritage Conservation, Ottawa, Canada, August 29-September 1.
- Barton, C. and Cox, A., 2016: Using the Arches Open Source Web Application as a Cultural Resources Management Tool. Paper presented at Association for Preservation Technology International Conference, San Antonio, Texas, October 30 – November 2.
- Dalgity, A., Myers, D. and Cox, A., 2016: Technologies and Approaches for Rapid Surveys. Paper presented at National Alliance of Preservation Commissions Forum, Mobile, Alabama, July 27-31.
- Cox, A., 2016: Arches: A New Open Source GeoInventory Platform. Paper presented at 29th Annual Wisconsin Land Information Association Conference, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, February 10-12.
- Cox, A., 2013: Mapping the American Cemetery: Using GIS in Historic Preservation. Paper presented at Louisiana Studies Conference, Natchitoches, Louisiana, September 20-21.
- NACIS Annual Meeting, Oklahoma City (October 2021)
- GeoNode Summit, Virtual Meeting (December 2020)
- NACIS Annual Meeting, Virtual Meeting (October 2020)
- QGIS North America Annual Meeting, Virtual Meeting (July 2020)
- QGIS Southeast Regional User Meeting, Chattanooga, Tennessee (October 2019)
- Association of American Geographers Annual Meeting, Washington D.C. (April 2019)
- Association of American Geographers Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana (April 2018)
- FOSS4G International Conference, Boston, MA (August 2017)
- ESRI User Conference, San Diego, CA (July 2013)
- Dalgity, A., Myers, D and Cox, A., 2017: Introduction to Arches Version 4. One-day workshop presentation at 2017 CIPA Symposium: Digital Workflows for Heritage Conservation, Ottawa, Canada, August 29-September 1.
- Cox, A. 2017: Implementation Considerations. Presentation at Liverpool John Moore’s University Arches 3-Day Workshop, Liverpool, U.K., March 28-30.
- Cox, A. and Enriquez, A. 2017: Introduction to Arches Version 4. One-day workshop presentation at Computational Applications in Archaeology, Atlanta, Georgia, February.
- Developing with GeoNode (2 sessions), GeoNode Summit, Virtual Meeting (December 2020)
- Arches Community Workshop, 3-day workshop, London, UK (July 2014)
- Section 106: An Introduction, 3-day course, Madison, Wisconsin (November 2011)
- Geospatial – QGIS, ArcGIS, Trimble 7x, Pathfinder Office, Google Earth Pro, GDAL/OGR, Postgres/PostGIS
- Web Development – Django, Leaflet, OpenLayers, AWS, GeoServer, Linux, Apache, Arches